Nylon 12 Tubing for Medical Applications
Nylon is a thermoplastic material made of repeating units linked by amide bonds; it is frequently referred to as a polyamide (PA). Nylon polyamide tubing is a strong, lightweight nylon extrusion product that has excellent abrasion resistance, with the added benefit of crush and cracking resistance. Nylon 12 tubing also supports a Shore D Hardness rating of 72, which provides tear and puncture resistance. This nylon catheter product also features excellent resistance to flexural fatigue, tube vibration and movement. Our nylon extrusion products also have a high bend radius for resistance to kinking and low moisture absorption for resistance to swelling due to water.
Nylon Catheters for Medical Applications
Nylon was the first commercially successful synthetic polymer, and Nylon 12 tubing has proven especially useful for numerous medical applications. Nylon catheter tubing is ideal for use as medical tubing because it is lightweight, corrosion and abrasion resistant, and can withstand repeated stress over extended periods.
Polyamide tubing also exhibits excellent resistance to high heat and pressure. Nylon resins can be extruded in thin sections, and are common materials used in catheter shafts due to high stiffness. Nylon 12 tubing is thermally bondable with other polymers used in catheter constructions.
Typical medical applications for nylon extrusion materials include catheter shafts and balloon tubing.
Unique Properties of Nylon Catheter Medical Tubing
Nylon is well suited as a balloon material due to its high pressure holding capacity in thin walled sections. Nylon extrusion is ideal for balloon applications which require more compliance than PET balloons offer. Nylon absorbs water, so caution should be used when designing catheters requiring high precision tolerances and dimensional stability at various levels of atmospheric moisture content. Other beneficial features of nylon medical tubing, include:
- Excellent abrasion resistance
- Crush & cracking resistant
- Tear & puncture resistance
- Flexural fatigue resistant
- Reduced tube vibration & movement
Nylon 12 Tubing Variations
The Nylon 12 tubing family includes many variations that are ideal for medical applications, including:
- Rilsan® Aesno Med – This polyamide tubing product is easily processed and has excellent resistance to chemicals. Rilsan® also features high dimensional stability and low density. The working temperature for this nylon medical tubing product is 40° to 266° F.
- Grilamid® - This nylon 12 tubing product is resistant to chemicals and stress cracking, and is extremely tough even at low temperatures. It also offers low water absorption and high heat deflection.
- Vestamid® - This nylon catheter product provides minimal water absorption and has an extremely high impact resistance, even below freezing points. Vestamid® also provides excellent abrasion and fatigue resistance.
Contact Duke Extrusions Today
- Rilsan® Aesno Med is a registered trademark of Arkema
- Grilamid® is a registered trademark of EMS-Grivory
- Vestamid® is a registered trademark of Evonik